Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Have you Zumba-ed?

I have been Zumba-ing and am quite enjoying it. In case you are not in the know, Zumba is a latin inspired dance fitness program that combines high energy music with dance moves gleaned from salsa, rumba and a little of bit of everything else.

Since I used to dance (circa when dinosaurs still roamed the earth) and still love the IDEA of doing so, I signed up for a class and have never looked back. A disclaimer first though, I am self-certified to be very unfit and probably clinically too, but I prefer to live under my shell thank you. So the first lesson was fun but really bad - panting, sweating and a lot of heaving - you get the idea.

Subsequent lessons are better as I found myself actually moving along with the music actually able to loosen up a little. Until I caught myself occasionally in the mirror. As a friend shared, she really doesn't like Zumba as there are too many wiggly, jiggly and saggy bits looking back at her in the mirror which led me to share with her my secret: to just keep my eyes peeled on the instructor and mentally pretend that I am still a size 6. See, deception is not ALWAYS a bad thing.

I definitely will not get back to my slim self with this workout but it sure is a fun activity that masquerades as exercise.

Here are some places in Shanghai that offers Zumba:

BeFit
(Meets at Lakeville XinTianDi and Grand Gateway)

Community Center of Shanghai
(Classes in Hong Qiao and Pudong)

No comments: